• Login
NORVANREPORTS.COM |  Business News, Insurance, Taxation, Oil & Gas, Maritime News, Ghana, Africa, World
  • Home
  • News
    • General
    • Political
  • Economy
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Aviation
    • Banking & Finance
    • Energy
    • Insurance
    • Manufacturing
    • Markets
    • Maritime
    • Real Estate
    • Tourism
    • Transport
  • Technology
    • Telecom
    • Cyber-security
    • Cryptocurrency
    • Tech-guide
    • Social Media
  • Features
    • Interviews
    • Opinions
  • Reports
    • Banking/Finance
    • Insurance
    • Budgets
    • GDP
    • Inflation
    • Central Bank
    • Sec/Gse
  • Lifestyle
    • Sports
    • Entertainment
    • Travel
    • Environment
    • Weather
  • NRTV
    • Audio
    • Video
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result
NORVANREPORTS.COM |  Business News, Insurance, Taxation, Oil & Gas, Maritime News, Ghana, Africa, World
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Twitter-Musk takeover dispute heading for October trial

3 years ago
in Business, Economy, Features, highlights, Home, home-news, latest News
2 min read
0 0
0
41
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

Twitter-Musk takeover dispute heading for October trial

A US judge has ordered that Twitter’s lawsuit against Elon Musk go to trial in October, a blow to the world’s richest man who had asked for a delay.

Mr Musk walked away from his US$44 billion bid to buy Twitter earlier in July, prompting the company to sue him.

Twitter hopes that the court will order Mr Musk to complete the takeover at the agreed price of $54.20 per share.

The tech billionaire has accused Twitter of withholding information about fake accounts.

His legal team has called for the trial to be held early next year due to its complexities, but Twitter asked for a September date.

On Tuesday, a judge in the state of Delaware agreed with the company and said a delay to the trial would cast a “cloud of uncertainty”.

RelatedPosts

UEFA Champions League: Five Exciting Fixtures to Keep an Eye on

BoG 2nd Deputy Governor Urges Firms to Move Beyond Tokenism in Promoting Women to Leadership Roles

Market Activity Slows as Prime Index Marginally Edges Higher to 7,340.08 Points

“Delay threatens irreparable harm,” Chancellor Kathaleen St Jude McCormick said. “The longer the delay, the greater the risk.”

The lawsuit accused Mr Musk of a “long list” of violations ahead of the potential merger and argued that he had “cast a pall” over the company.

At the hearing on Tuesday, Twitter’s lead counsel William Savitt said the ongoing uncertainty about whether the takeover would go forward or not “inflicts harm on Twitter everyday”.

There is a theory that Musk still wants to buy Twitter, he’s just trying to knock down the price.

If that’s the case, his lawyers are spectacularly good poker players.

Mr Musk’s legal team wanted this trial to happen next year.

They claimed they needed more time to dig through data on spam accounts. Clearly though this is also a stalling strategy.

They repeated Mr Musk’s assertion that Twitter may have more fake accounts than it claims.

That is a hugely damaging accusation – and a strange thing to say if Mr Musk were still interested in purchasing the company at a lower price.

Twitter’s reputation has already taken a huge hit. Twitter’s revenues are almost entirely based on ads. The fewer real people on the platform, the less money it can make. Bots don’t have wallets.

That’s why Twitter wants this process sorted quickly. By far the best case scenario for the company is that Mr Musk buys it for $54.20 a share – and that it happens as soon as possible.

That’s why this judgement is good news for Twitter. The judge sided with Twitter’s lawyers – that a ruling needed to be reached quickly.

It heaps more pressure on Mr Musk, who is faced with the bizarre prospect of having to buy a company he no longer wishes to acquire.

However, in practice this will likely put more pressure on Mr Musk to settle, pay Twitter some money, and move on.

“Musk has been and remains contractually obligated to use his best efforts to close the deal,” Mr Savitt said. “What he’s doing is exactly the opposite. It’s sabotage.”

A lawyer for Mr Musk, Andrew Rossman, argued that he remains one of Twitter’s most significant shareholders. He said the case should go to trial next year on a “sensible” schedule that would give both sides time to prepare.

Since Mr Musk began questioning the number of fake and spam accounts on Twitter’s platform in May, the company has seen its share prices fall from highs of $50 per share.

The company’s shares currently stand at about $39.45 – well below the $54.20 per share at which it hopes to close the merger.

A self-described “free speech absolutist”, Mr Musk has vowed to ease restrictions on content if the company were under his ownership.

He has also called for the company to be more open about how it presents tweets to users and how tweets are promoted to larger audiences.

Tags: Twitter-MuskTwitter-Musk takeover dispute heading for October trial
No Result
View All Result

Highlights

US Open: Sinner Advances as Gauff and Swiatek Struggle

Unemployment Rate Falls to 13.1% but Youth Joblessness Remains Acute, Says GSS

Chamber of Mines Calls for Special Purpose Vehicle to Fund Western Corridor Railway Development

African Debt and Climate Change: How the ICJ’s Vanuatu Ruling Could be Used for Broader Justice

European Leagues Defend Plans to Stage Matches Abroad Amid EU Criticism

Bank of Ghana Sets Gold Coin Price at GHS 39,273 Per Ounce

Trending

Features

UEFA Champions League: Five Exciting Fixtures to Keep an Eye on

August 29, 2025

UEFA Champions League: Five Exciting Fixtures to Keep an Eye on The stage is set for the...

BoG 2nd Deputy Governor Urges Firms to Move Beyond Tokenism in Promoting Women to Leadership Roles

August 29, 2025

Market Activity Slows as Prime Index Marginally Edges Higher to 7,340.08 Points

August 29, 2025

US Open: Sinner Advances as Gauff and Swiatek Struggle

August 29, 2025

Unemployment Rate Falls to 13.1% but Youth Joblessness Remains Acute, Says GSS

August 29, 2025

Who we are?

NORVANREPORTS.COM |  Business News, Insurance, Taxation, Oil & Gas, Maritime News, Ghana, Africa, World

NorvanReports is a unique data, business, and financial portal aimed at providing accurate, impartial reporting of business news on Ghana, Africa, and around the world from a truly independent reporting and analysis point of view.

© 2020 Norvanreports – credible news platform.
L: Hse #4 3rd Okle Link, Baatsonaa – Accra-Ghana T:+233-(0)26 451 1013 E: news@norvanreports.com info@norvanreports.com
All rights reserved we display professionalism at all stages of publications

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Business
    • Agribusiness
    • Aviation
    • Energy
    • Insurance
    • Manufacturing
    • Real Estate
    • Maritime
    • Tourism
    • Transport
    • Banking & Finance
    • Trade
    • Markets
  • Economy
  • Reports
  • Technology
    • Cryptocurrency
    • Cyber-security
    • Social Media
    • Tech-guide
    • Telecom
  • Features
    • Interviews
    • Opinions
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Travel
    • Environment
    • Weather
  • NRTV
    • Audio
    • Video

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Create New Account!

Fill the forms bellow to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
NORVANREPORTS.COM | Business News, Insurance, Taxation, Oil & Gas, Maritime News, Ghana, Africa, World
This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.