Finance Minister-Designate Clarifies Stance on Additional IMF Support
Dr. Cassiel Ato Forson, the Finance Minister-designate, has denied reports suggesting he categorically stated that the new government would seek additional funding from the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
Speaking at his vetting before the Appointments Committee of Parliament on Monday, January 13, Dr. Forson clarified that his comments had been misrepresented in the media.
“I didn’t say I was going to request additional finance from the IMF,” he said. “It’s inaccurate reportage. What I said was that we could request additional finance if the need arises.”
Dr. Forson explained that his remarks were speculative, emphasizing the importance of flexibility in responding to economic challenges. He noted that any decision to seek additional IMF support would depend on future circumstances.
He called on the media to ensure accurate reporting to prevent public misinterpretation of his statements.
Reaffirming his commitment to prudent financial management, Dr. Forson pledged to explore all available options to maintain economic stability and growth for the country.